"I would highly suggest the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend one of the many public fireworks displays throughout the state," Geraci said.
If people plan to use consumer fireworks, the fire marshal offered these suggestions:
- Do not allow small children to use fireworks.
- Know that Baltimore City, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Ocean City and Prince George's County prohibit fireworks, according to the fire marshal.
- Buy fireworks in the area where you plan to set them off; check with the local municipality to determine what fireworks are legal there. Also consult the Maryland fire marshal's list of approved ground-based sparking devices.
- Read label warnings and follow instructions.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages while using fireworks.
- Have a bucket of water nearby.
- Fully extinguish fireworks remains before throwing them out.