Following Wednesday’s rounds at the Scripps National Spelling Bee, 257 words such as philhellenism, hoomalimali, and pfeffernuss have been correctly spelled and contestants will be moving on to round 3.
Unfortunately, none of Maryland's 11 competitors made it into Thursday's semifinals.
Words correctly spelled by the group included nattily, zyedeco and armamentarium.
Maryland’s 11 super-spellers who took part and their sponsors are:
- Isabelle Marie Simmons, 21st Century Education Foundation, Annapolis
- Danyah Farhat Imam, Learn It Systems, Baltimore
- Nikita Singh, The Meakem Group, Bethesda
- Megan A. Rabe, Howard County Library, Columbia
- Stephen Hochschild, Frederick County Public Libraries, Frederick
- Maddie K. Bowers, The Herald-Mail, Hagerstown
- Tamya Michelle Matthews, The Gazette & The Star, Laurel
- Jennifer M. Tennant, The Enterprise, Lexington Park
- Selena D. Antosh, The Recorder, Prince Frederick
- Gia Lauren B. Bautista, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne
- Aashka J. Patel, Maryland Independent, Waldorf
According to a previous Patch story, students are competing from eight countries: the Bahamas, Canada, China, Ghana, Jamaica, Japan, South Korea, and the United States -- represented by students from the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Department of Defense Schools in Europe.
ESPN along with all of its sister channels is providing coverage of the Bee if you want to follow along.
The schedule is:
· Semifinals on Thursday, May 29, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT. ESPN2 will broadcast the announcement of championship finalists immediately following the conclusion of Round Six (watch live; play along).
Championship Finals broadcast live on ESPN on Thursday, May 29 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. EDT (watch live; play along).
Here’s what the super-spellers are competing for:
From Scripps, a $30,000 cash prize and the Scripps National Spelling Bee engraved trophy
From Merriam-Webster, a $2,500 U.S. savings bond and a complete reference library
From Encyclopædia Britannica, $1,200 of reference works including the Britannica Global Edition, 1768 Encyclopædia Britannica Replica Set Deluxe Edition, 3-year membership to Britannica Online Premium and Britannica World Atlas