The Maryland Department of Agriculture plans to recognize nine people and a horse for excellence within Maryland's horse industry at the kickoff event of the annual steeplechase season this weekend.
The Maryland Horse Industry Board, a program of the Maryland Department of Agriculture, will present the Touch of Class awards around 3:30 p.m. Mar. 17 at Green Spring Valley Hounds course, 13920 Mantua Mill Rd, in Glyndon during the Foxhall Farm Cup Team Chase, according to a news release from the group.
Being honored this year are:
- Mark Beecher of Glyndon (Baltimore County)
- Blythe Miller Davies of Monkton (Baltimore County)
- Jack Fisher of Monkton (Harford County)
- Ross Geraghty of Monkton (Harford County)
- Dr. Margaret Hoffecker and John Almond of Loafers Lodge Ponies of Monkton (Baltimore County).
- Irvin Naylor of Stillwater Farm in Glyndon (Baltimore County).
- Sally Steinmetz of Rosehaven Farm Ponies in Havre de Grace (Harford County)
- Incomplete, owned by Bob Kinsley (Harford County), trained by Ann Stewart (Baltimore County)
Foxhall Farm Cup Team Chase is the first event in the 2013 Maryland Steeplechase Association’s Governor’s Cup Series, the release states.
The Touch of Class Awards were established in 2011 by the MHIB to honor Maryland horses, individuals, teams, organizations or events that demonstrate the highest standards of excellence in Maryland’s horse industry.